Even with sample code a whole day disappears creating 1 XMLRPC method! (Well, probably 90% of it was getting the server running...)

Spent the whole day working on porting the few bits of old-Cinemon that are actually used by ACI over to the new-Cinemon codebase so that we can use the old Cinemon box as a query server. Stephen over on the twisted discussion list sent me some sample code for the operation on Friday, but it was twisted.web, rather than Nevow code. I also mis-interpreted how one of the features worked, and entirely missed another key feature of the code (the fact that the resource that demands the authentication goes on the outside of the portal).

After I finally got the server running properly I started working on the first method I want to export. And discovered that XMLRPC is rather limited in the datatypes it can support (having spent much of last week working with Perspective Broker) and wound up having to hack around that.

Anyway, tomorrow going to finish up the porting and then get back to the query server code.


  1. x

    x on 02/28/2005 11:49 p.m. #

    I'm still trying to crack PluggableAuthService for Zope 2 as well. You'd think it'd be easy. I take the ZODB Auth/Role plugins (which appear to work as expected) and hack them up for SQL... actually not even that. For testing I'm just hard coding return values for one user! Actually it appears pretty straight forward for the most part once i got into the code... however, my hacked up plugin fails with a weird error whenever i access a protected object underneath a folder which requires authentication. Note: authenticated access to objects within the top level protected folder is fine... but subfolders give me this Unauthorized traceback i haven't been able to figure out. If you get the password wrong the error message is not a traceback... hmm, so it is authenticating ... and then... running into a problem somewhere... probably while traversing... hmmm.... back to tracing... might help if i actually new something about the mechanics of the regular Zope security system... heh.<br />
    <br />
    (PluggableAuthService is pretty nice conceptually though... you could do pretty complicated/interesting stuff with it... in fact that's the main problem... as some have been discussing in the mailing list... the [web, at least] interface needs dumbing down rather desperately...)<br />

  2. x

    x on 03/01/2005 1:14 a.m. #

    Ah, i'd screwed up the enumerateUsers() method. Didn't even realise it was being used. Hrmph. Too tired, but don't want to stop... miles to go...

  3. Mike Fletcher

    Mike Fletcher on 03/01/2005 1:42 a.m. #

    I used to see similar Zope problems when I forgot to make all objects inherit from an acquisition class. Annoying as the error seemed totally disconnected from the source. But sounds like you found the problem elsewhere already.

  4. x

    x on 03/01/2005 6:37 p.m. #

    Ahhhhrrrrr! One of those days. Hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours and hours... before realising that the variable i was supposed to be testing was "user_login" rather than just "login" (both of which exist in the context). Okay i think i finally have this stupid plugin working. This really irks me! Because one of the reasons one turns to a big framework like Zope (or Twisted) is because all of these fiddly little things are supposed to be, one would hope, taken care of...<br />
    <br />
    Ah well, at least i can enjoy my left over spaghetti which i dumped rather too much cayenne pepper into since Selena is not home... yum...<br />
    <br />

Comments are closed.


Pingbacks are closed.