Archives July 2007
As part of reconfiguring the network yesterday I swapped out the (ancient) router/firewall we've been using as our external firewall and replaced it with the Linksys WRTG (L) we've been using as a wireless-only bridge. (The old router/firewall will go with Rose).
That meant a new internal network configuration, new "virtual server" mappings for the ...!-->!-->
I didn't return my laptop to it's original configuration last night. Instead I came into Linux Caffe with it still putatively configured for NetworkManager operation... at it failed. So I copied back just the one configuration file (the /etc/conf.d/net configuration) and suddenly NetworkManager could pop onto one of the 3 open networks here...
The other ...!-->!-->
Sugar doesn't yet support wpa_supplicant. Our whole network is wpa_supplicant controlled. So at home the little laptops have no network connection. That makes it annoying to use them as development platforms. So, today I tried to convert our network to be WEP-based (despite not liking the idea of an easily cracked network).
Unfortunately, I couldn't ...!-->!-->
I normally carry my B2 with me when I go down to work at Linux Caffe (well, almost everywhere, really), lets me put it out on the table and let people who are interested in the project strike up conversations even when I'm working on other client's projects. Find some good contacts that way, do ...
Spent the whole working day getting a promotion-to-live done. Just a large number of stupid little errors popping up due to system differences between the staging and live machine. We're missing a stage in the stages due to a configuration mix-up, which is what let it happen.
Went out to dinner with Soni and her ...!-->!-->
I spent much of the day yesterday trying to get my OLPC hacking environment back up and running so that I could work on the code again. At one point I got everything save 1 package (libabiword) to build, but then I noticed that there was an old Python 2.4 install in the build directory ...
As mentioned I did the kde-monolithic to kde-split update within the aufs-based chroot. Everything built fine, I merged the packages directory and the /etc/portage directory into the root tree and did the update with usepkg in the root.
What I *should* have done is try running from the chroot first. I would have noticed the ...!-->!-->
My laptop has been waiting for ages to get the KDE monolithic to KDE split update done. It's just so annoying needing to unmerge the system while you're upgrading. So today I decided to try using aufs to create a chrooted copy-on-write version of the system.
sudo mount -t aufs -o dirs=installroot:/=ro none fakeroot
We have a new apartment at Yonge and Davisville (come the 28th). Just have to drop in and get the paperwork done on Monday. Other than moving we are pretty much finished the "big" items on the "family" todo list. Still a few big individual things for each of us, but we're basically ready to ...
We decided to move to a new place a couple of months ago. Couldn't get anyone to show us a place to which to move until this month (they all wanted to concentrate on the start-of-this-month crowd). So, we've been apartment hunting. 5 working days spent so far.
We thought we were going to close ...!-->!-->
- July 1, 2007
- July 2, 2007
- July 4, 2007
- July 5, 2007
- July 6, 2007
- July 10, 2007
- July 12, 2007
- July 13, 2007
- July 14, 2007
- July 16, 2007
- July 19, 2007
- July 20, 2007
- July 21, 2007
- July 22, 2007
- July 25, 2007
- July 27, 2007
- July 29, 2007
- July 30, 2007
- July 31, 2007