So today I decided I would emerge sync and then update the whole Gentoo world while I was working to try to get a few annoyances fixed. In particular, wanted to see if the new mythtv would fix the colour problems.
First I had to fix a shallow error in the building of Qt, opengl-update hadn't generated a required link to a required header file.
Second, IPython (which had a new version out as well) was giving DNS resolution failures, so it just dropped out when it went to install... had to drop it from the list of packages.
After that the emerge went fine. Didn't actually time it, but it rebuilt KDE along the way, so at least 3 or 4 hours... only really paid attention when I finished work. After all, the whole point of Gentoo is that magic "ooh, look, new toys were delivered while I was doing other things" moment.
Unfortunately, the new MythTV has a bit of a karked upgrade script, the result is that I can no longer start the front-end (it just bombs out with a shallow error where it's trying to insert an already-extant column). Oops, so much for fixing the colour problem. Luckily TVTime still works, so I could watch Jon Stewart while I ate dinner (the entire world breathes a sigh of relief). I've got it trying to downgrade now, but I'm not all that hopeful that will work (there were intermediate database schema changes that will likely cause problems).
I should try to get OpenOffice.org 1.9x working. All of my recent office documents are in 1.9x formats, so without the 1.9x programs I can't work on them (not having a Windows partition any more). Seems like it should be a simple problem to create an emerge for it, it's a binary release, so just three little commands to run. We'll see I suppose.
Pingbacks are closed.